Friday, December 21, 2007

Holiday Cheer.


There is no question about the holiday cheer I observed today at the school where I work. Fifty teachers done with the first trimester and off for two weeks. THAT'S holiday cheer. I was glad I showed up for the party. As always, it was hard to get out of bed this morning. (It didn't matter that it was ten o'clock.) I eventually did though. The plan was to stop at the bank to deposit my check, withdraw some cash, and make it to school by 11:30 to observe a Spanish faculty meeting and go to the Christmas party. Long story short, the bank took an hour and I made it to school on time for the party only. No comment.

Here is a quick comparison between the Spanish faculty party and the Holland Christian faculty party.

HC
After school in school cafeteria

Spain
After school in school café

HC
Cheesecake and punch

Spain
Lots of Spanish appetizers, beer, wine, and champagne (but no sweets)

HC
no smoking (Was that even a question?)

Spain
smoking (Was that even a question?)

HC
Dressed as teachers

Spain
The costume theme was "Headwear pertaining to Christmas stereotypes"

HC
Music provided by student orchestra members playing familiar carols

Spain
Music provided by a big speaker and iPods containing Shakira, Abba, and The Village People

HC
Faculty singing carols and ending with the Hallelujah Chorus

Spain
Faculty busting a move on the "dance floor"

HC
Hour and a half max

Spain
I left the second bar at 7:30 (seven hours, if you are slow with math)

Now don't think that Spaniards are all fun and games because on the contrary, when the other American aide and I tried to have Christmas parties in class, they told us not to have food or drinks because the students would get out of hand. Hmmm...a party without refreshments...yeah, we played Christmas bingo and watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

The picture is proof of the craziness today. The Science Department wore tambourines decked out with Christmas figures. We made a grand entrance singing about the money we will win tomorrow in the national lottery. (The staff pooled together to buy lots of tickets.) If you are wondering who my partners in crime are, I aid the very lovely and animated Concha (back left) and the super-cool, down to earth Pilar (front left). The video is self explanatory. Shoot, I don't know how to upload my video clip...just picture teachers of all ages dancing and smoking in the school café.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I think I need to come for a visit. You Spainards know how to party. :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!