Monday, July 14, 2008

Two Spanish Accidents

Okay, so I'm on the two month plan. Do I still have any readers left? I thought it would be fun to write about two Spanish accidents: one that I witnessed and one that I participated in. I'm going to let you guess the endings, though. (Hee hee...that way I'll know if anyone still reads my blog.)

Accident Número Uno
I took my friend Julie to a bullfight. (I'm guessing you know what's coming.) If you've never been to a bullfight, let me explain a few things. First of all, there are SIX bullfights (or bull slaughterings) in one "bullfight". Secondly, the matador is very rarely hurt or killed. It is not a fight that the matador or bull wins, but rather a show, an art...almost a dance. Well, this particular evening, the first bullfighter (of the six rounds) was the best, and he went last, too. He was doing great; the crowd loved him and he was "making the bull dance", as the Spanish man next to me pointed out. During the dance, the bull suddenly decided he wanted a partner and caught the matador's leg with his horn. The matador went down, the crowd gasped, and the bull proceeded to run over him.

Accident Número Dos
Guille and I decided to do some work on our laptops and enjoy the beautiful Spanish evening at the same time. So, we went to a "terraza" (outdoor café) with WiFi to kill to birds with one stone. Sitting in the plaza, we order a pitcher of Sangría and as the waiter cleans the table (AFTER bringing us the pitcher), he knocks it over and the WHOLE thing spills on top of me.

You guess how these two stories end. I'll try to post the endings in less than two months. ;)

3 comments:

Neogeezer said...

The toreadors pride was hurt, but that's all.
You received a free pitcher of Sangria and also some free food and free trip to the cleaners.

Amanda Brouwer said...

I already know how situation #1 ended, so I don't think it would be fair for me to take the fun away from others. :)

Situation two...it's interesting, Jeff and I were just saying tonight that we have a very "make it up to you" culture here in the US. (Not so in Spain) I'm guessing that your Spanish waiter didn't do anything...except maybe point you in the direction of those non-absorbent "gracias por su visita" napkins. I can't decide if you got a free pitcher of sangría or not...

Amanda in Michigan

Anonymous said...

situation number one
the torero was taken out in an ambulance and you were called in to finish the bullfight. (not likely but would be a cool story)

situation number two
I'll fall off my chair if they gave you a free pitcher of sangria, so I am opting for a meager and slightly embarrassed apology and a new red look to your outfit. I am aldo guessing from the fact thtat you are blogging that you were lucky to not have it get all over mac.