Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting into the Daily Grind

On Wednesday I started my job here. I am a teacher's aide in a bilingual high school. I will be helping Science and English teachers with their English and with their classes/students. They teach everything in English. The classes I help in are the equivalent of 7th-9th grades...a little younger than what I'm used to. So far I really like it. It's a good school, the kids are pretty well-behaved, and the staff is very nice. Like all high schools, the kids are in the same class and classroom all day and the teachers change classes. I really hate that. Today I did a power point presentation and had to take down and re-set up the computer and projector between every class.

I have only been here for a week and two days. I am still staying in my friend's apartment and looking to find a place to live. I won't be able to afford my own place so I'm looking for a room in an apartment with some other girls. I actually was "accepted" today to live in an apartment in the neighborhood I like, but I don't know what I'm going to do because it's really small and it doesn't have an oven.

I am also giving private English classes to a five and three year old four and a half hours a week. They are adorable! Today was my first day and they met me at the door with pictures they had colored for my birthday. (When I interviewed with them the boy wanted to know how old I was and I said "29 on Wednesday". So that's how they knew it was my birthday.) The dad who knows English had written "Happy Birthday from your two little pupils María y Miguel". I don't know how I got lucky enough to teach the two cutest kids in Spain!

No comments: