Thursday, April 12, 2007

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter a little late. It feels good to wish you all a happy Easter, because, despite all the fanfare of Semana Santa (Holy Week, the week before Easter) here in Spain, there aren’t many Easter traditions or even a phrase for “Happy Easter!” in Spanish. Easter Sunday is simply called domingo de resurrección (Resurrection Sunday), and even that was hard to find out because that phrase is rarely used.

In fact, Sunday morning I took my parents to my church and no one wished us a happy Easter. Before the service I was even beginning to wonder if the pastor would recognize the special day. To my relief, he did. He focused his sermon on the resurrection and finally at the end of the service we sang “Because He Lives” in Spanish. But, as you can tell, I was disappointed that in such a catholic culture, Easter just isn’t a big holiday. There are no big ham dinners with the family, bunnies, baskets, or Easter egg hunts. On second thought, maybe that’s a good thing.

No comments: