Monday, February 4, 2008

A Blogger's Confession

I write mental blogs. Yes, so when I look at my blog and see that a week has gone by without a new blog I think, "What?! I've written at least six blogs since then!" Oh wait, they were all in my head. Here is a list of random topics I've thought I should blog about.
-People rarely use clothes dryers in Spain.
-People really do look like their dogs (I thought as I passed a bulldog and his owner on the street today).
-I have had to explain the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism more times in the last year and a half than I have ever had to do before in my life.
-I hosted a birthday dinner last night for eight people and found my Spanish roommate's comments interesting...She thought the tealight candles on the buffet were cool. She was impressed by the Betty Crocker cake. Over all the whole situation seemed strange to her. People just don't entertain here in their homes.
-Today I passed a sign advertising the "burying of the sardine". I witnessed this burial 10 years ago in Denia, Spain and never knew quite what to make of it. Now I know it has something to do with Carnaval.
-I am dressing up as a wolf for Carnaval tomorrow at school. The American guy is going as Little Red Riding Hood. Should be interesting.
-I am used to Spanish bluntness. Yesterday someone told me I looked fatter in an old photo and I didn't even bat an eye...maybe I would have if it had been the other way around.
-The library puts due dates on the books and movies I check out, but never charges me when I bring them back late.
-The library has no drop box inside or outside (hence the late books).
-To play tennis in Retiro Park you have to go during the week on the half hour and pay 5.40 Euros for an hour. If you want to play on the weekend you have to go in person during the week, make the reservation, pay, and then play on the weekend ON the hour. (The Official "Let's Make Things as Difficult as Possible" Board of Spain came up with that system.)
-Why hasn't Flamenco dancing caught on in the U.S.?

Hey, let me know if you want me to expound any of these topics!

Sorry about not getting past the entryway of my piso. I just can't get it to upload. You'll have to come visit. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any of those topics would be interesting to me Panda! Blog away!

Anonymous said...

So what would the topic be, your weight or Spanish bluntness?

Laurie said...

Expound on any of the above mentioned topics because they're all funny!

If there's no late fees, how does the library keep any books on it's shelves?

Amanda said...

Okay, Heather! Very funny, Dad. And, Laurie, that is a good question. I forgot to mention that you can only take out three books and two movies/CDs at a time. So if you want to read a new book, you have to bring back the old one. Now, this works in theory, but somehow I've ended up with four books checked out. Hee hee.

Julie said...

my comments on your comments:
- i hate drying racks more than any one person should.
- i don't think i look like lucky ...he is much cuter.
- do protestants do ashes on ash wednesday...i am among the slightly ignorant population here in spain.
- i would be interested to hear anna's comments on the evening. she did come ans look at us like we were some sort of sideshow.
Thanks again for a wonderful bday celebration!
- what's the deal witht eh sardines? i haven't sen/heard of this. i hate sardines but i would be interested to know anyway.
- no comment on the dressing up. you know my feelings on that.
- paco is an idiot. and if he had said it the other way around i would have socked him for you. spaniards need to learn some couth.
- i can't talk about libraries in spain...i haven't gotten over the fact that la biblioteca nacional hasn't burned to the ground. however, maybe i should look into the municpal library system after my therapy sessions for the BNE.
- i want in on the official "Let's Make Things as Difficult as Possible" Game Board of Spain

Amanda said...

Most protestants do not do ashes on Ash Wed.

I think Ana likes our American customs. She always says she likes my friends.

I have to research the sardine more. Start asking around and we'll compare notes.

Paco is not an idiot, and all his compliments on the food made up for any other comments he made.

Hmm...a board game. I was referring to a board/committee, but a board game could be fun!