Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Snooze Button

Well after receiving various guesses via e-mail and comments, Julie is the winner of the "name the alarm clock" contest. She also lives in Spain and can identify with my pain, I'm sure. It's obras, or construction. But, no, the construction is not across the street or in the piso a few floors up; it's on the other side of my bedroom wall. That's right. Last week I was awakened by a "saws all" cutting into the plaster. As I lay in bed horrified, I fully expected it to cut right into my side of the wall. On Friday I was armed. I put my iPod next to my bed and as soon as my "alarm clock" went off, I turned on some Enya as loud as I could. It didn't matter. Like I said, you can't turn this super-special clock off.

Since I had been turning into a semi-nocturnal creature, staying up till 2 and getting up at 10, I though this would be a good time to readjust my sleep habits. This week I decided to try to wake up before my "alarm clock". It was going well. I was waking up earlier and the construction moved to a different floor.

But the story doesn't end there. Today was as if someone had decided to push snooze and allow the clock to go off all day long. In fact, when I left this morning at 9:45, the noise hadn't begun. I thought I was in the clear. I was wrong. I got home at 3:20 with 10 minutes to spare before a phone interview for a job this summer. Just as I was ready to sit down and wait for the call from the U.S., OBRAS! Hammering right outside my door. I quickly gathered my things and speed-walked to Retiro park. Thankfully it wasn't raining, just a little chilly. The interviewer called and everything went very well. Yea! Of course, as I type a drill has started going...snooze button, please!

If you are curious, the interview is to teach Spanish at a new language camp for middle and high schoolers in California! It's through Middlebury College and I'm really interested in the position! So, say a pray for me or cross your fingers or think positive thoughts or whatever it is you do! ;)

One more thing, the verdict is...the font stays the same. I'm sure Neogeezer will appreciate that! Right, Dad?

4 comments:

Julie said...

YEAAA!!! what do I win????

Neogeezer said...

Hope you get the summer camp job in California, but not so much you fall in love with the place and want to move there.
You blew my cover.

Anonymous said...

California!!!! WIll you be anywhere near San Francisco? You better visit me if you are!:)

Amanda said...

Yes, Amy, I would be near San Fran! The camp is at Menlo College. I'd love to visit you if I end up working there! Thanks for reading my blog! :)