Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cuaresma

Cuaresma (pronounced quar-EHZ-mah) means Lent in Spanish. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a much cooler word than "Lent" which sounds way too much like the stuff in your pockets. Anyway, Cuaresma begins today and I've decided to give up (make sure you're sitting down) sugar. Yes, it's true. The girl with the sweet tooth the size of Texas is giving up sugar. "Why?" you may ask. Well, I have three reasons (not necessarily in order of importance):

1) Health- Sugar is not healthy, and I like to be healthy (and thin). :)
2) Religion- I don't always give something up for Lent, but when I do I find that it really does help me remember Christ's sacrifice.
3) Personal- I thought it would be a good challenge of my self-control.

I know the body needs sugar. I will still get my fill of natural sugars from fruit, juices, and honey. I'm not totally off my rocker. (I'm not going "raw foods" or anything!)

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. The worst will be when my parents come to visit next month and we travel through Spain, France, and Italy and I won't be able to eat pastries or Gelato. :(

Be inspired! Give up something (or pledge to DO something) for CUARESMA!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Never thought of "lent" sounding a lot like "lint" before - funny. I usually try to give something up every year. I suggested sex this year but that was frowned upon by my husband. :) So, I am giving up candy. I love candy over cookies, cake, pie, icecream, etc. So, it should be a challenge but not nearly as challenging as giving up sugar. Oh my.

Michelle said...

Wow that would certainly be a challenge. I think it would be good for me too. I'd be thinking of Christ's sacrifice often as sugar is 1/2 my diet. Is there a chance you'll be traveling through Paris in May or June? I'll probably be swinging through there for a couple of days. Won't be staying long unfortunatly.

Anonymous said...

yesh...i'm still deciding what i am giving up...hmmmm...lint is almost over.