Monday, February 5, 2007

My First Visitor

Well, my Aunt Marty managed to visit Madrid during the coldest week this year. Now that she left today, it was back into the 50s. Oh well, she loved Spain anyway. (How could one NOT love Spain?!) Unfortunately we didn’t spend too much time together, but here are some highlights from her visit.

• Walking around the city her first day here until we almost collapsed… even I almost collapsed and she’s the one who had been traveling for 24 hours straight.

• Going to the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum. I had never been there, and I loved it! It’s a great art museum with a lot of variety in paintings. I’m not good at remembering names of paintings or artists, but one of my favorites was of a view looking through a broken window and the pieces of broken glass under the window still have the view in them. How cool is that?

• Drinking “claras” (in honor of her granddaughter?) and eating “bocadillos de tortilla española”. (Claras are beer mixed with lemon pop.)

• Going to chilly Chinchón. Enjoying the quaintness of the town, sipping Cola Cao (hot cocoa), and eating our pastries and cookies that we bought there from the nuns. (That was really neat… we rang the bell of the convent and got to go in to pick out our pastries. We didn’t see any real-live nuns, though. They have someone who lives there and answers the door. I’m not sure, they might be the kind of nuns that no one can see. They sure can bake, though!)

• Making an American dinner for my roommate and my friend Ana that Aunt Marty stayed with. Menu: chicken chili, cornbread, and apple crisp. Yum!

• Enjoying a Spanish dinner (at 3pm) with my roommate, her mother, and her aunt. Menu: cocido (it’s like a roast but with various meats).

• Going to a Flamenco Show! It happened to be “El Festival de Flamenco” this past week in Madrid, so we took advantage of it! The show was excellent.

I am working on getting some pictures up on my Flickr site (see link to the right). I’m WAY behind, but feel free to page through the latest Halloween album. (Like I said, I’m WAY behind.)

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Hey there - too busy to blog lately? =) Sounds like you had fun with your aunt. We just dog sat for a family that was in Spain for 10 days and went to a futbol game. They had a great time and I guess the weather was above normal temps. for them. Take care.

Anonymous said...

hola stra!
it sounds like everything is going well fo you, even though it has been "cold" there. try walking to class in subzero weather. thats what we have had to do this past week, so i guess i dont feel too bad for you :) just kidding. anyway, keep updating because i love reading it! you are in my prayers.. adios!
-elizabeth wright